This activity promotes development and learning by encouraging children to think about friendship as they explore color mixing.
- “Little Blue and Little Yellow” by Leo Lionni
- Yellow and blue food coloring
- Two glasses
Participants: This activity is intended for adult/child interaction.
- Read (or watch online) Leo Lionni’s classic picture book, “Little Blue, Little Yellow.” Talk about your child’s friends. What do they like to do together? Would your child like to act out some of the elements of the story, such as running, jumping, or climbing a mountain? You could also discuss how, like Little Blue and Little Yellow’s friends, our friends all look different, which makes life richer and more interesting.
- Fill a glass halfway with water and add several drops of yellow food coloring.
- Repeat the process, but add several drops of blue food coloring.
- Combine the two glasses to make green. Try making different shades of green by adding less or more food coloring or make new colors.