This activity promotes development and learning by encouraging children to investigate numbers and balance. Children can practice counting objects while learning the concepts of some, more,and too many.
- Clothes hanger
- Two strong paper or plastic cups
- Yarn, twine, or sturdy string
- Small objects of varying weights, e.g. crayons, toy cars, small blocks, etc.
Participants: This activity is intended for adult/child interaction.
- Create holes on either side of the paper cups. Attach two equal lengths of yarn onto the cups to create little buckets.
- Hang one on each side of the hanger and place the hanger on a cabinet knob, door knob, or hook that is low enough for your child to reach.
- Ask your child to place objects in one cup.
- Now add different objects to the other cup. Ask: which cup is heavier? How many crayons do you need to add to make it balance one block? How many is too many?