This activity promotes development and learning by encouraging children to demonstrate phonemic awareness. Simple nursery rhymes and songs build language and relationships and strengthen early literacy skills like sound recognition and rhyming.
- “I’m a Little Teapot” lyrics (below)
Participants: This activity is intended for adult/child interaction:
- Watch the video (Click Here) to become familiar with the lyrics and melody if needed.
- Sit on the floor with your child and sing the song. Add some actions, e.g., put one hand on your hip as a handle, the other hand up as a spout. Pretend to tip over at the end of the song.
I’m a Little Teapot Lyrics:
- I’m a little teapot,
- Short and stout.
- Here is my handle, (one hand on hip)
- Here is my spout. (other arm out straight)
- When I get all steamed up,
- Hear me shout,
- “Tip me over and pour me out!” (lean over toward spout)
- I’m a clever teapot,
- Yes it’s true.
- Here let me show you,
- What I can do.
- I can change my handle,
- And my spout, (switch arm positions)
- Just tip me over and pour me out! (lean over toward spout)