This activity promotes development and learning by encouraging children to remember information to use in later tasks and build skills for recalling information.
- Snacks or pretend food
- Teddy bears or dolls can be included (or it can be a picnic with adult and child)
Participants: This activity is intended for adult/child interaction.
- Spread a blanket on the floor to sit on.
- Adult or child serves the snack to each person or pretend friend.
- As you eat, say the following sentence, filling in the blank, “I’m going on a picnic and I’m going to take ________.”
- The next person must repeat the sentence, including the item you chose and an additional item. For younger preschool children, you might want to first have a conversation about all the foods you can have on a picnic. This will give them some ideas to recall.
- Continue for as many rounds as you can, seeing how many items you can remember.