This activity promotes development and learning by encouraging children to use large muscles to move and balance own body and ability to remember information to use in later tasks.
- Music to dance to
Participants: This activity is intended for independent play, adult/child interaction, 2 or more participants.
Directions: Follow the directions below for dance steps or do your own favorite dance to music. Watch the videos to see the floss (click here) and disco (click here) in action!
- Flossing – Move hips right to left while holding your arms in a straight position with one arm hanging in front and the other behind your body. Essentially flossing your hips through your arms.
- Disco dancing – Point one finger in the air while holding your arm in a diagonal position above your head with the other arm and finger pointing to the floor.
- Rake the lawn – Pretend to hold and rake the leaves in one direction then another.
- Sprinkler – Move your arm like the motion of a sprinkler and switch arms when desired.
- Lawn mowing – Pretend to cut the grass with the lawnmower in different directions.
- Change the light bulb – Use one hand to reach above your head and pretend to change the light bulb in the ceiling, switch hands when desired.