This activity promotes development and learning by encouraging children to maintain focus and sustain attention and express, understand, and regulate emotions while developing fine motor skills.
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Cream of tartar
- Natural food coloring
- Vegetable (or coconut) oil
- Quart size storage bags
Participants: This activity is intended for adult/child interaction, and 2 or more participants/players or individual use.
- Gather ingredients.
- Make playdough using the recipe below. Use food coloring to create different colors of playdough.
- Put each color in separate bags and label it with emotion. When your child has strong feelings they can squeeze, stretch, and play with their “calm down clay” to help regulate their body.
How to make playdough (CLICK HERE)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour.
- 3/4 cup salt.
- 4 teaspoons cream of tartar.
- 42 cups lukewarm water.
- 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil (coconut oil works too)
- Food coloring
- Quart sized bags & markers