This activity promotes development and learning by encouraging children to demonstrate an understanding of number names, order, and quantity and use hands and fingers to explore and interact with the environment.
- Baking tray, shallow bin, or cardboard box (cut the sides down if necessary)
- 2-3 cups of salt or fine, clean sand
- Colored construction paper or colorful wrapping paper
- Glue or double-stick tape
- Paintbrush, chopstick, or stick
- Small pieces of paper with a number written on each one
Participants: This activity is intended for independent play with approximately 5 minutes of adult preparation.
- Write numerals on the pieces of paper, one number to a piece. The numerals 1-10, are a good place to start for preschoolers. You can add 11-20 for a challenge if your child is familiar with them.
- Choose 4-5 sheets of colored paper (or one sheet of wrapping paper) and cut to fit the base of the tray.