This activity promotes development and learning by encouraging children to develop a positive relationship with family members and others.
- A shoebox or similar shaped box.
- Family photos
- Markers, pencils, or crayons
Participants: This activity is intended for adult/child interaction.
- Watch “Somebody Loves You, Mr Hatch” by Eileen Spinelli and Paul Yalowitz (read by Hector Elizondo) at Storyline Online. Talk about the story. How did Mr Hatch change? How did people respond?
- Cut heart shapes from the paper.
- Use some of the hearts and the family photos to decorate the outside of the shoebox.
- Write notes each morning to each family member expressing appreciation for something. Read the notes together over dinner.
- Take pictures of your creations. Draw signs and labels for the buildings or help your child narrate and write a story about them.
Extensions: Send notes or email to friends and extended family. Think about someone in your neighborhood, who, like Mr Hatch, might need an extra dose of love. What can you do for that person?