This simple sand and water activity keeps toddlers engaged and happy, promoting development and learning by encouraging children to demonstrate an understanding of cause and effect.
- Large cookie sheet or bin and bowl
- Kitchen implements, such as a funnel, cups, muffin tins, bowls, and spoons
- Sand or dirt
Participants: This activity is intended for independent play or adult/child interaction.
- Step 1: In an outside area, give your child a small amount of water and sand or dirt, as well as the kitchen implements.
- Step 2: Ask him to try mixing a little water with sand or dirt. What happens? What happens if he adds a little water? What happens if he adds more?
- Step 3: Encourage him to experiment with the kitchen implements. Can he make mud pies, towers, or hills? What else can he do?
Offer a small amount of the material at first and set limits before you start, such as keeping the mud on the cookie sheet or in a designated area. Have a hose ready for easy cleanup.